PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT AND KPI’S DEVELOPING
The modern and the present lifestyle has thrown various health related challenges for people across the globe; the citizens, the Government agencies and the healthcare organizations are very much concerned about the healthcare related issues and the proactive measures to be taken to improve the healthcare scenario. The health related problems differ dramatically from developed countries to the developing countries and similarly from urban centers to the underdeveloped rural areas. In such a scenario, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), the quantitative and qualitative measures are used to review an organization’s progress against its goals. The strategic key performance indicator also comes into play, and they apply at both organizational and individual levels. At an organizational level, a KPI is a quantifiable metric that reflects how well an organization is achieving its stated goals and objectives. Whereas tactical indicators are implemented in the decision making process of the organization. KPIs are used by hospitals to monitor and evaluate performing against benchmark values or standards.
KPIs should help the management team in doing number of things including:
- Establishing baseline information (i.e. the current state of performance).
- Setting up performance standards and targets to facilitate and encourage continuous improvement.
- Measuring and reporting improvements over recurring intervals. The performance measurement and improvement in healthcare plays an important role in maintaining the health care systems throughout the world. This will enable individual health systems to learn from examples of good practice and avoid implementation errors made elsewhere.
- Comparing performance across functions and geographic locations.
- Benchmarking performance against regional and international peers or norms.
- Allowing stakeholders to independently judge the performance of the healthcare centre or hospital.
Topmed aims at providing top healthcare services with help of finest healthcare professionals with a focused perspective towards classifying KPIs into functional categories and specific measurement groups mainly in the in MENA (Middle East or Arabian country) region countries.
Building a framework for strategic KPIs is very essential not only to report performance, highlight deficiencies and suggest improvements, but also to provoke more new ideas and suggestions on monitoring both tactical and operational performances as well. A group of strategic KPIs including Patient Access Indicators, Inpatient Utilization, Outpatient Utilization, OR Utilization, ER Utilization, Generic Utilization, Patient Safety, Infection Control, Documentation Compliance, and Patient Satisfaction Indicators, has been researched to monitor and improve the performance of a tertiary care hospital.